A new year can bring a fresh perspective. Here are a few tips and tricks for the wayward woman because, let’s face it, we can all be a little sexist sometimes.
10. Do not buy, download, borrow, or even waste time thinking about Going Rogue by Sarah Palin. Her words are toxic and are not meant to help humankind.
9. Avoid sexist terms when describing yourself or other women. Sexist vocabulary begets more negative treatment toward us on the street, in the home and in the media.
8. Do read more literature and non-fiction by women writers — from the classics like Brontë and Austen, to modern geniuses like Didion and Atwood. There is so much to learn and enjoy in their wisdom and perspectives.
7. Stop stressing over what you eat and how you influence others about food. Eat healthfully and in moderation, you don’t need to starve or stuff yourself — both can hurt your body and mind. Balance will sate you.
6. Read the news. Be aware, but please stop gossiping. And, buy less celebrity magazines focused on who’s skinny and who’s not. It doesn’t matter, focusing on the superficial makes us all just a body.
5. Stop judging other women for their choices. Liberation gives us the freedom to do anything from piloting planes or playing point guard, to baking cakes or being a mom.
4. Say no to posing nearly naked for magazines. Seriously, who cares if you get paid, the cost for the rest of us and the continued sexualization of women in the media is too high. Your bare ass has consequences for ours.
3. Stand up for yourself, don’t let others make you feel like less of a person because you are a woman. You are an equal in this world. Live the part.
2. Embrace your talents and support those of the women around you. There’s no need to compete, we’re in this together.
1. Love yourself and everything that makes you a woman.